Sunday, May 04, 2014

My Phone is Smarter than I


 So, I finally joined the ranks of those who own a smart phone. 

I'll let that sink in a bit. 

After being practically the last person on this orb to get a cell phone at all, I've finally made the jump to a smart phone.

And it is kicking my heiny. I am all thumbs, especially when it comes to the TINY keypad. I'm deep into the how-tos, getting my contacts transferred over, figuring out the bookmarks, widgets, apps, and the like. And undoing all the things I inadvertently do wrong. 

Ah, technology, the balm and the bane. :)

So, since the rest of mankind pretty much already has this stuff figured out, I'm taking advice. What's your favorite widget/app/thingy?  

4 comments:

  1. I can empathize! For years we've had a plain-Jane cell phone... we made and received *occasional* calls, and that was it. It was seldom on unless we were expecting a call. Then we had an opportunity to get an iPhone 5s! Fortunately other family members also have one, so we've been able to lean on them for info and tips.

    I haven't downloaded much, but the most valuable apps for me are Evernote, Skype (for face-to-face calls with those who don't have a compatible phone), and Dropbox (for syncing with files on my home computer). You'll enjoy it once the initial period of intimidation wears off. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, you know me and tech. One app I love is Key Ring.. You know all those store cards you need to carry? Scan them in or manually enter the card number and now, all your cards in one place without weighing you down. Another app is AroundMe uses your location and you can find banks, gas, parking, coffee shops. Also love my bank's app so I can check funds and do banking on the run. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm late to the whole smart phone thing--in fact, I just had to ask my daughter if my phone IS a smart phone. I'm not good with all that stuff. Basically, I just want to be able to call people, text, check e-mails here and there and be able to access web sites if necessary (which it usually isn't). All that to say, I don't have any apps on my phone :) Just whatever it already comes with.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have had a smart phone for over 5 years. I started with an iphone. I recently switched to the Galaxy Note III. It came with a stylus to use on the touch screen, which is a great help when dealing with things that are too small to do with your fingers. My favorite apps are flashlight, kindle and maps (for gps). I use many other apps daily--email, calculator, calendar, clock (including alarm) and internet. It gets frustrating trying to figure it out. It's an ever learning process for me, but I would be lost without it.

    ReplyDelete