Monday, April 07, 2014

Running on Empty



One of the things we've taught our kids as they became drivers is that in Minnesota, especially in the winter, they need to keep the gas tank full. When the gauge gets near the half-full mark, head to the gas station.

This works great with the gas tank. There are dozens of gas stations in our city. A fill up is not far away.

But what about when your energy tank, or your creativity tank, or your spiritual tank is running low? It's not like you can pull up to a Sinclair station and fill up your energy tank. (Wouldn't that be nice?)

Here are a few things that I do to recharge the batteries:


  1. Get some sleep. I operate best when I manage my sleep time.
  2. Read a good book. Remind myself of the beauty of language, and how much I love words.
  3. Alone time. I enjoy being with people, but I need time to be alone, time spent in my head, in order to be 'right.'
  4. Remind myself to be grateful. Gratitude lifts the spirits.
How about you? What do you do to recharge your batteries?

Today I'm guest blogging at http://seekerville.blogspot.com/  Please stop on by and join the conversation! 

4 comments:

  1. So very glad you're back.

    One thing I do to recharge is have lunch with a friend :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. An epic lunch! I was stunned when I got in the car and looked at the clock... :D

      Delete
  2. I find it helpful to walk away from my creative endeavors. So, I watch old movies, favorite TV shows, read, play on the computer. Then returning to a project is like seeing it with fresh eyes. Though some lather, rinse, repeat might be necessary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Old movies and tv shows are the best. :)

      Delete