Monday, April 21, 2014

Rag Quilts!




Pinterest. Are you on Pinterest? I browse the pictures of food and crafts and decor, and while I'm wowed and often times inspired, I also know that a lot of what I see is beyond both my budget and my capabilities. Still, it's fun to see what's out there.

This past week, a lovely friend of mine, Kelly Prosch, introduced me to rag quilts by posting a tutorial on her Facebook page. I quickly went to Pinterest to see some other examples of rag quilts. It's so counter-intuitive, and yet brilliant!

I was intrigued. I had never heard of this kind of a quilt. I have done some quilting before. I made a Red Cross Signature Quilt embroidered with all the names of the Dodge County MN World War One Veterans. (You can find out more about that project by reading some of my blog posts on the subject by clicking HERE.) And I like quilting, as much as I've done of it.

And I've had a hankering to make some baby quilts. Smaller projects, fun fabrics, relaxing work. And here is a great pattern/plan that I can do. :)

I'm psyched to get started! :)

Here's the tutorial I liked the best from Pinterest. Click on over and see how to make these cool quilts.
http://quiltingintherain.blogspot.com/2011/02/rag-quilt.html

So, have you heard of a rag quilt done in this fashion before?

13 comments:

  1. I wish I was that crafty! The picture above is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The quilt pictured was made by Kelly Prosch. She's uber-talented!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Erica, I loved Kelly's instructions. So glad you saw them too. I've started digging through fabrics for my own attempt at a rag quilt.
    I loved your Red Cross signature quilt -- and of course your books.
    Blessings, Bev Snyder

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Bev! Kelly's instructions were so "ME" because she detailed every step with pictures. I need pictures. :D

      Delete
  4. Anonymous12:30 PM

    I am excited for you to make a rag quilt, Erica! Let me know how I can help along the way. They are a very worthwhile, rewarding project to do! -Your quilting gal pal, Kelly :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kelly! I bought fabric and batting today. Linda and I are going to try this!

      Delete
  5. Can't wait to get a date on the calendar for us to work on some rag quilts together! Kelly makes it look easy enough to actually tackle a normally daunting sounding project. Hopefully sometime in June will work. I have to get through May and the first week or so of June before I can even begin to think about starting this, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. June is good. Kelly can give classes and maybe someone can teach me to knit.

      Delete
  6. Quilting is beyond me. I can barely sew buttons on

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't use to sew, but I'm enjoying it more and more.

      Delete
  7. A late comment... Easter weekend I attended a small family reunion during which our daughter-in-law gave a rag baby quilt to her granddaughter (our first *great* granddaughter). It was the first one I'd seen and I thought it was charming. The ragged edges gave it a wonderfully soft look and feel.

    The only quilting I've done was an attempt to make two twin-bed-sized ones for our daughters, in multi-sized gingham squares mixed with solid pink. That was 30 years ago. I finished one. The other is still in pieces in a box!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just finished helping my daughter make a rag or frayed quilt using old jeans for the front and pieces of a sheet for the backing. We still need to run the seam around the outside edge, finish clipping it, and wash & dry it....and she leaves for camp in another day. I'll try to post a picture on my fb page when it is finished. We didn't use any batting/fleece so didn't quilt the pieces. Just sewed them together. We were trying to do this project in one week. :)

    ReplyDelete