Friday, August 30, 2013
Welcome back to The Friday Five:
Since summer is quickly coming to an end and school years are about to begin, this week's Friday Five is:
Five things that are beginning or ending around here:
1. Student Teaching. The elder child had her first day of teacher orientation/meet the students at her student-teaching placement yesterday. The verdict is: "I love my first graders!"
2. Earth Science at the local jr. college. The younger child is taking his first class at the local jr. college. So far the week is off to a rocky start with the teacher a no-show for the first class, a last minute classroom change, and a mix-up on when the lab was actually scheduled. But I think we're on track now. :)
3. Hopefully, this heatwave will be ending soon. It's too hot to work on the patio project. Too hot to sit on the front porch in the evenings. Just plain too hot for this girl!
4. Football season is beginning! The last NFL preseason games are over. College football games started last night. Are you ready for some football?
5. Teaching Sunday school. This is a beginning/ending around here. Our church Sunday school takes a break in August, so the teachers can recharge and reorganize. So the Sunday after Labor Day, my husband will be starting a new year as a Sunday school teacher of 4-6th grade. I taught Sunday school for the first part of the year, but someone else will be taking over my class, so my time as a teacher is coming to an end. (For now.)
How about you? What's beginning or ending at this time of year for you?
Monday, August 26, 2013
After a lengthy and refreshing break from blogging, I'm back! I've missed blogging, though the rest was needed and appreciated.
So what did I do while I was on my break?
1. Wrote. I'm closing in on the finish of another novel, this one set in a Victorian tea shop in St. Paul, where an ambitious young woman and a local bad-boy-turned-beat-cop band together to uncover the culprits behind a series of increasingly serious crimes in the neighborhood and find their partnership growing into so much more. It's Brewing Up Love.
2. Read. I took more time to read this summer than I have in awhile. While I re-read some old favorites, my current obsession is the Walt Longmire books by Craig Johnson. I'm in the third book and loving every word. I've learned quite a bit about how adding a dash of humor makes the intense parts even more intense.
3. Crocheted. I made a couple of baby blankets for a friend who is expecting twins, a blanket for someone who is expecting her third child, and a granny-square baby blanket that used up a lot of pastel yarn I had left over from all the other baby blankets. And this past weekend, I opened up my counted cross-stitch cupboard and took out a new project.
4. Spent time with my family. My kids are almost grown, and I feel like the time is passing so quickly. I made a concerted effort to spend time with my kids, together and individually, and make some memories with them this summer. We're also deep into a landscaping project at our house, and while I can't do a lot of the brick-laying or rock hauling, I'm pretty good at shopping for patio furniture and planning out the future flower beds. :)
What did you do with your summer? Was it a time of refreshing?