Monday, June 24, 2013
This is my absolute favorite picture from our entire recent vacation (And there were more than three thousand photos!) This is my son, James, (17) with a happy, joyful, relaxed look on his face. He was hiking in Arches National Park.
Vacation is a good thing. It helps you refresh, refuel, and relax. At least that's the plan.
That being said, this blog is going to take a vacation for awhile. I need to refuel, refresh, and relax a little so when I come back to blogging, I have something to say.
In the meantime, I'll be active over on Facebook. You can find me at: https://www.facebook.com/erica.vetsch
Thursday, June 13, 2013
The above is a picture of the only remaining Civil War recruiting station west of the Mississippi. It's located in Wasioja, MN. This weekend there is a big Civil War re-enactment in Wasioja that I'm looking forward too.
So, this week's Friday Five is five things I hope to take in at the Wasioja Civil War Days:
1. The History of High Tea demonstration.
2. President Lincoln's address.
3. Medical Demonstration.
4. The Battle of Antietam.
5. The Battle of Mill Springs.
Have you ever been to a Civil War demonstration?
What are your weekend plans?
Sunday, June 09, 2013
Now that we're back from vacation and we've deep-cleaned the house, it's time to settle into our summer routine.
We're staying up a bit later, sleeping in a bit later, planting flowers and mowing grass, taking a break from school.
The eldest turns 21 this month, and for her birthday, she asked if we could take the St. Paul Gangster's Tour as a family. We'll make a few day trips to favorite historical sites this summer too. But mostly we stay home and hang out and relax.
I love summer.
How about you? What do you do during the summer?
Friday, June 07, 2013
I love my Kindle eReader. I use it every day. So this week's Friday Five is:
Five reasons I love my Kindle.
1. The number one reason I love it is that I can read at night with a tiny book light that doesn't disturb my sleeping husband. I love to read in bed, and the Kindle lets me read late into the night if I want to.
2. The ability to have dozens of my favorite books all in one easy-to-carry place.
3. The ability to try lots of new authors with free or low cost eBooks.
4. The ease of purchase (this is a two-edged sword) with the "Buy With One Click" option on amazon.com
5. I also love how light my Kindle is and that I can turn pages with one hand.
Q4U: Do you have an eReader? Do you like it? What do you like best about it?
Sunday, June 02, 2013
On the way, we had many adventures, and I hope to share some of those with you here on the blog.
One of the early stops we made was the Stuhr Pioneer Museum in Grand Island, NE. Oh, my, am I ever glad we stopped. What a wonderful place. Their railroad town will show up in one of my future stories, I have no doubt.
Peter took lots of pictures for me, and I kept the pamphlet that contained the map of the town so I could remember the layout.
Here's a link to learn more about the Stuhr Museum Railroad Town.
Have you ever been to Nebraska?