Thursday, October 17, 2013

The Friday Five


It's almost November! Can you feel the excitement in the air? If you know a writer who is gearing up for NaNoWriMo, then you've probably encountered the roller coaster of emotions this crazy, month-long challenge brings.

At the moment, I'm gearing up for NaNoWriMo, which stands for National Novel Writing Month. November, the time of year when tens of thousands of word-slingers put on their writing hats, crack their knuckles, and attempt to write FIFTY-THOUSAND words in a single month.

It's crazy, exhilarating, daunting, sapping, thrilling, and so many more things!

I can't start NaNo without some preparations and knowing what I'm going to write, so I spend the last couple of weeks of October getting ready. So I thought today's Friday Five would be:

Five things I'm doing to prep for NaNo:

1. Creating Characters. Figuring out what personality types they are and how they will react in certain situations.

2. Plotting. Post it notes, Goals, Motivations, Conflicts, Black Moments, Look-In-The-Mirror moments, etc.

3. Updating my profile on the NaNo site and logging into my local group to see when they'll be having write-ins and activities.

4. Finding writer-friends who are also attempting NaNo to buddy with so we can encourage one another.

5. Daydreaming about this new story, becoming familiar with the fictional landscape so I will know where I'm at when I open the document each day.

How about you? Do you NaNo? If you do, buddy me! My user handle on the Nanowrimo.org site is: ericavetsch

1 comment:

  1. Hi Erica, can you explain this board. Do you start every story with this board and fill in the blanks? I tried to enlarge the picture but can't. Can you tell a little more about it? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete