Monday, August 26, 2013

Blowing the Dust off This Blog


After a lengthy and refreshing break from blogging, I'm back! I've missed blogging, though the rest was needed and appreciated.

So what did I do while I was on my break?

1. Wrote. I'm closing in on the finish of another novel, this one set in a Victorian tea shop in St. Paul, where an ambitious young woman and a local bad-boy-turned-beat-cop band together to uncover the culprits behind a series of increasingly serious crimes in the neighborhood and find their partnership growing into so much more. It's Brewing Up Love.

2. Read. I took more time to read this summer than I have in awhile. While I re-read some old favorites, my current obsession is the Walt Longmire books by Craig Johnson. I'm in the third book and loving every word. I've learned quite a bit about how adding a dash of humor makes the intense parts even more intense.

3. Crocheted. I made a couple of baby blankets for a friend who is expecting twins, a blanket for someone who is expecting her third child, and a granny-square baby blanket that used up a lot of pastel yarn I had left over from all the other baby blankets. And this past weekend, I opened up my counted cross-stitch cupboard and took out a new project.

4. Spent time with my family. My kids are almost grown, and I feel like the time is passing so quickly. I made a concerted effort to spend time with my kids, together and individually, and make some memories with them this summer. We're also deep into a landscaping project at our house, and while I can't do a lot of the brick-laying or rock hauling, I'm pretty good at shopping for patio furniture and planning out the future flower beds. :)

What did you do with your summer? Was it a time of refreshing?

16 comments:

  1. Travelled to an art show in VT I'm in. Taking day trips with a friend of mine so I know lots of tourist things to do when you come for a visit. Now working on a piece for the faculty art show for next week's dog and pony show

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so excited about your art being in the art show. :) Congratulations again!

      Delete
  2. Packed and unpacked what seems like hundreds of boxes. And I'm still doing it! Our son's family moved in early August and now a daughter and her family are moving this weekend. Both locales are in different towns, so we've enjoyed the rare opportunities to spend some time with all the grandkids while helping out. But I'm ready for my life to return to normal again soon. I finished one contest entry, but still have other unfinished projects that need my attention.

    Glad to find you back here. It sounds like you've had a great summer. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congrats on finishing a contest entry. I'm with you. I like when I can settle into a routine.

      Delete
  3. Erica, sounds like you had a good summer. Good for you taking time to be with your family. You'll never regret putting other things on hold for that short time the kids are growing up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mary. I am much refreshed and looking forward to diving back into things.

      Delete
  4. I'm glad you had such a restful summer and were able to do some of the things you most enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Keli. I was feeling pretty run down by the time spring came around. This summer was just what I needed.

      Delete
  5. What a wonderful summer, Erica. All four of your accomplishments are on my to-do list for sometime...hopefully soon!

    Glad you're back!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Audra! I just ordered the cutest counted cross stitch cowboy sampler that might become my next project. :)

      Delete
  6. What I find hardest of all to believe is…



    …you used a picture with a spider's web in it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I checked for occupants first. :)

      Delete
  7. Welcome back, Erica! Congratulations on the writing and sewing projects you completed. I look forward to hearing more about Brewing Up Love.

    This summer I finished up a novella and started packing for a move. Hope to get my summer reading completed before mid-September.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congrats on finishing up your novella! And you're moving? That's a huge project. You're going to need to escape every once in awhile into a good book or two. :)

      Delete
  8. Sounds like you have a wonderful break Erica! The tea-drinking novel sounds fun. Maybe I'll see you at ACFW?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, Anne, You are up with the chickens! I am planning on attending ACFW, and I hope to see you there!

    ReplyDelete