Friday, May 03, 2013
The Friday Five
Would you believe that Rochester got a 9+ inch dumping of snow this week? CRAZY! In the words of my sister-in-law "Summer sure seemed short this year."
Makes me glad I'm out of state at a writer's retreat this weekend. Though I did have to drive through a fair bit of snow to get to my destination.
This week's Friday Five is:
Five things I love about writers' retreats.
1. Hanging out with my friends who actually understand me on the writer level. They've been there and are doing that when it comes to writing fiction. Especially these gals who are all pros and treat this like a business, not a hobby.
2. Ridiculous word counts. Because we're all focused on writing, we rack up some mind-blowing word counts over the course of a few days.
3. Getting away. Face it, sometimes it's nice to leave the laundry and meal planning and errands and homeschooling behind for awhile and just focus on fiction.
4. Pooling resources and knowledge. Whether it's brainstorming plots, sharing blogs and websites we find helpful, discussing where we thing publishing is going, generating marketing ideas, or just congratulating and commiserating, the shared knowledge is invaluable.
5. The food. We have the best food on these retreats. One of the authors lives nearby, and her husband brought some yummy soup that he made! And I've had Lithuanian Apricot Torte, which is to DIE for! We've dined on Hawaiian BBQ chicken (Crock pot recipe that cooked all afternoon and made the house smell great.) And tonight, we're headed to a steakhouse. (And over all this good food is non-stop conversation. :) )
How about you? Have you been on a retreat, writer or otherwise? What do you like about coming away from your everyday life to focus on being creative?