Thursday, April 04, 2013

The Friday Five


We've entered another season of Driver's Ed/Driver's tests. I'll be so glad when this part is behind us! "Watch your mirrors." "Slow down." "Keep a safe distance." "Watch your mirrors." "Give it some gas going around the corner." "Watch your mirrors." :)

In honor of our son, who is in the midst of all this instruction, this week's Friday Five is Five things I remember about my driver's test.

1. Right off the top, I'll let you know, I failed the first time I took my driver's exam.

2. The women at the DMV in Salina, Kansas were all horribly cranky all the time.

3. The horn didn't work when I went to take the test the second time and we had to go home so my dad could make the repair.

4. The second time seemed so much easier than the first.

5. The license cost $9.50, and when I gave the woman a $20 bill, she said "What do you think I am? A bank? I can't change that!" (remember I said they were cranky?) so I went outside where my dad was waiting for me and told him. He ran up to the 7-Eleven and got a big gulp, gave me the change, and I paid for my license. (He's a good man.)

What do you remember about taking your driver's test?


10 comments:

  1. I passed the first time without actually completing either of my parking attempts. I got halfway in and saw I was going to hit a cone, so I started to pull out to try again. The instructor said "move on, we'll come back to it", but we never did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You were pretty relieved when you got back. :)

      Delete
  2. I'm giggling at what that cranky lady said. LOL

    I was so nervous I almost wet myself. My mom drove me the route that the driver guy would b/c they'd been taking that same route since she was a kids. Ha! I did okay and I passed but in all honesty, they shouldn't have passed me.

    My daughter has a few months before she can get her permit and I'm freaking out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My son took his driver's test today and he passed! Whew! So glad that's behind us!

      Will you be the one to do the primary driver's ed, or will your husband?

      Delete
  3. I passed my driving test the first time when I was a teen, but when I moved out of state and had to take one in my mid-twenties, I was so nervous I failed it. Go figure.

    I wish you the best as you train your future driver.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so nervous when I had to transfer my license from Missouri to Minnesota and had to retake the written test! I passed, but I was guessing on the questions about blizzard driving. :)

      Delete
  4. Congratulations! I saw on Facebook that your fellow is now a licensed driver.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, and a very relieved one at that! :)

      Delete
  5. Strangely enough, I don't remember much about my test, other than I passed it first time. What I *do* remember are some of the Driver's Ed outings that led up to it. I was enrolled in a class through my high school, and three of us would head out with the instructor. (How the one driving could concentrate with two peers giggling in the back seat was amazing!) One time my boyfriend was the student driver navigating a slushy street. As he approached a traffic light the instructor suggested the light might change and he should slow down. He didn't, and the light turned yellow. Realizing the guy was going to keep going, the instructor raised his voice and said, "You have to STOP!" So the brakes were suddenly applied, the car skidded to a stop sideways in the intersection and the passenger door swung open, leaving the instructor clinging frantically to its edge to keep from falling onto the road! The rest of us were terrified! To this day I approach traffic lights cautiously, expecting them to change, much to the annoyance of drivers behind me who probably wish I'd speed up so we can all get through the intersection.

    Congrats to your son on getting his license. Do you have others still waiting for that opportunity?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whoa!!!! That would have been hair-raising!

    Fortunately, I'm all done with the driver's ed. My son is the younger of our two children. :)

    ReplyDelete