Sunday, April 14, 2013

Patience is a virtue...wish I had some.

Hourglass

Are you good at waiting? I'll confess, I'm not too great at it. And if there is anything I've learned in the publishing game is that waiting is very much a part of the way it works. Waiting to hear from an agent, waiting to get contest results back, waiting to hear from an editor, waiting for cover art...waiting.

It is easy to be paralyzed by the waiting involved...and I confess, I've allowed this to happen to me before. I've gotten stuck doing nothing but waiting instead of being productive while I'm waiting.

I'm currently waiting for some news on a project or two, and rather than climb the walls, I'm getting busy. I've got one novel plotted out, and I'm working on another one. I've got a finished novel ready to submit to a publisher, and I've got two more in that series to flesh out. 

If I keep busy, I can stop focusing on the thing I'm waiting for and distract myself with a new project. This is a win-win, since it keeps me from feeling like one big knee-jiggle all the time and keeps me productive while I wait.

So what do you do while you're waiting? Are you successful at waiting? 

12 comments:

  1. Erica, I echo your feelings today. And like you, I get busy with another writing project or a furniture refurbish. I've gotten better but it's still hard not to check every ding from email on your phone like a rabid dog! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A furniture refurbish? I need you to come visit. I've got a couple of pieces that could use some TLC...and think of all the distracting hilarity that would ensue...:)

      Delete
  2. I'm so bad at waiting. I'm really driving myself crazy about something right now. I think my family and writing friends are tired of hearing about it. :p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's sooooo hard, and yeah, my family is being really great about it, but I bet they're tired of hearing about it. :)

      Delete
  3. Waiting can be so challenging. Here's hoping your wait is over soon and readers are enjoying your new stories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no idea when I'll hear anything, but you'll be one of the first folks I tell, no matter how it comes out. :)

      Delete
  4. I don't enjoy waiting, but I definitely try to make the best of it when I have to. Like you, I try to keep busy. I do other projects in the meantime. But that doesn't stop my brain from dwelling on it every spare moment :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll go along for long stretches...like twenty whole minutes before I think about it again...:)

      Delete
  5. I remind myself that checking e-mail every five minutes for news isn't going to make it come any faster! And yes, I try to focus on a new project, writing-related or otherwise, whatever will keep me absorbed. I hope your news comes soon and is good. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Carol. I wrote a blog post and worked on a synopsis today to keep my mind occupied.

      Delete
  6. Oh, my. You've been watching. I obsess. GUILTY.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps we should obsess together...

      Delete