Monday, March 04, 2013

Mountain Climbing

Mountain..

Sometimes you face a mountain. Something you must get over to get on with your journey. A task, a goal, an obstacle, a dream. Mountains come in all shapes and sizes, but they have one thing in common. They are the dividing line between where you are and where you want to be. 

And to make things more interesting, often, when you scale one mountain, thinking you are done, you've crossed over, you're on the downhill side and things are bound to be easier, only to find that there is another mountain looming ahead.

It's easy, especially in this writing life, but also in your spiritual life, your physical, mental, emotional life, to say, "This is too hard. I can't cross all those mountains. I can't get to the top."

When I find myself saying this, I need the reminder that I don't have to reach the summit. I don't have to cross all the peaks ahead of me. I just need to put one foot in front of the other. I need to reach for the next handhold. I need to just do the next thing.

It's so easy to get distracted, to focus on everything except what you should be doing. And this can get cyclical. The more you avoid doing what you need to do, the easier it is to avoid what you need to do.

I have some mountains ahead of me. I need to stop standing still and take a step.  And then another.

How about you? Are you facing a mountain? Is something standing between you and your goal? What's the next step, and what is stopping you from taking it?

6 comments:

  1. Morning Erica! Looks like you are making progress on your WIP. Now that I finally got "over the hill" and completed my first draft, it feels more like an octopus than a mountain. TIme for edits! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I get caught in the mountains of negativity and self-doubt, sometimes. Or I might hear a bit of depressing news within the book industry and ask myself, "Is this worth it?" Prayer helps, as well as trusting God to help me straighten out my priorities.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It can be daunting...but you've got a mountain mover in you. Rooting you onward.
    ~ Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mountains. Grr... Always gonna be a mountain to climb.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I's sorry life has put some peaks in your path, Erica. If anyone can climb them, I know you can. You're a talented, dedicated, hardworking person with a lot of courage and strength. And, you have a very BIG God on your side.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sometimes inertia is my biggest mountain... being able to take that first step. Whatever obstacles are ahead of you, Erica, I know God is up to the task of helping you conquer them. Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete