Sunday, February 24, 2013

The Bible Reading Plan for Slackers.

Bible Study 1

So, a couple of weeks ago, my pastor mentioned that he had a "Bible Reading Plan for Slackers" taped into the front of his Bible. It looked just like the "Read Through The Bible in a Year" plan, except there were no dates beside the passages. Brilliant!

I've started many a Read Through The Bible In a Year (RTtBiaY) plans, and after a few weeks, or even a few days some years, I fall behind, get discouraged, and in a blue funk of guilt, stop reading to a plan altogether. (Tell me I'm not alone here.)

So when he mentioned the Slacker approach, I was immediately intrigued. I mean, I'm a first-class slacker!

Enter the Kindle. I downloaded a free ESV version for Kindle when I first got it, but I never used my e-reader for Scripture reading. But, since I always read for at least a few minutes every night before bed, I thought that would be the perfect time for a slacker to read her Bible.

I started a couple of weeks ago, and I am now in the book of Numbers. (Whew, made it through Leviticus!) If I miss a night, I don't beat myself up over it. I read until I get sleepy.The Kindle keeps my place, so when I fire it up the next night, I can start right where I left off.

Guilt free. The secret is to just read. If you miss a day, there's no date or chart or written code to point you out as a failure. Bliss!

Have you ever read through the Bible? Do you follow a plan?  

10 comments:

  1. Wow! Two applied applications within one Sunday (or at least, finding out about them on one Sunday). Be still my heart.

    Seriously though, keep up the good reading, Erica and you'll find your heart filled to the uttermost! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) I'm sure that sometimes you must feel as if you're shooting bbs at an anvil when you try to teach me, but some things do get through! :)

      Delete
  2. A few years ago I read completely through the Bible (didn't know I was using the slacker approach) and it was truly enriching. Getting an overall view is a little different than just concentrating on passages here and there. I need to do it again. Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Karen. It's been a long time since I read straight through my Bible, and I love the way you can see truths intertwining as you get a big picture look.

      Delete
  3. Last year I read through the Bible in a year. This year I'm taking the slacker approach :). I read the Bible most days, but I don't have a certain number of chapters to get through. I'm reading it at my own pace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay for us slackers! And congratulations on reading through the Bible last year!

      Delete
  4. I started reading through the Bible in a year last year but I slipped into slacker mode and only made it through the OT. So I just kept going and decided if it takes a year to go through the NT so be it. Either way I'm reading my Bible. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congrats on making it through the OT last year. And you're right. So be it. I don't know how long it will take me to get through, but if I keep on going, I'll get there eventually.

      Delete
  5. I teach an OT/NT survey course to the high schoolers at church in an electives group we have for the Sunday School hour, called Youth Bible Institute. That gets me through the Scriptures on a bi-yearly basis. SO MUCH there!! Can I have favorites? The OT is definitely mine. It's the set of books that set the stage for the most amazing culmination!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that you teach the teens! I'm on the cusp of taking over the teen class at our church. I love the stories of the OT. God sure understood the power of story, didn't He?

      Delete