Wednesday, July 25, 2012

World War One Wednesday


Today's post is a little late due to the fact that Blogger wouldn't let me load pictures last night! Argh! 

I thought I'd share with you a little more of the progress we've made on the Red Cross signature quilt. :) Here are some pictures of the basting and trimming process.


We took the parts and pieces to my church, because there are lots of tables and space to work. Heather (Dear Daughter) and I set up 6 tables in the center of the fellowship hall and spread the quilt backing out nice and smooth. The backing is made from the same white fabric as used in the quilt blocks, and when I bought all that white fabric, I thought I might have a bunch left over. But when Linda and I finished assembling the quilt top and I laid out the fabric I had left for the back, it turns out I only had about half a yard left over! EEK! The quilt back is made from two strips of white fabric sewed down the middle.


Here's Heather opening the package of quilt batting. I opted for a low-loft queen-sized batting. The original quilt is rather thin, both due to age, and I suspect to the fact that the batting they used was probably a piece of felt or flannel. I want my quilt to match the original at the museum as much as possible, and I felt a high-lofted batting and puffy quilting would look too different.

Centering the quilt top on the backing and batting and getting it as smooth as possible was a job for two people, and Heather's long arms sure came in handy. :) We wanted the seam on the back to be in the center, and when we were all done, it was! Whew! :)

Getting everything smooth and even. 

Beginning the basting process to hold everything together during the quilting. I baste with large safety pins, one in the center of each red cross.

The trick is making sure the pin goes through all three layers and making sure all the layers stay nice and smooth.

Once the entire quilt is basted, it's time to trim off the extra backing and batting. I brought my rotary cutter, mat, and straight edge. The trick here is not cutting beyond the cutting mat.

Heather helped with the turning, holding, and re-positioning of the quilt while I trimmed. 

The final result of the day's work: A quilt all basted and trimmed, ready for the quilting process!!!

4 comments:

  1. I am amazed and impressed! I have so much respect for quilters. I'd love to learn how someday. This is a beautiful quilt - wow! Good job. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! I am so impressed! Looks fabulous, Erica. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks spectacular

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lot of work! But I love seeing how it's all coming together. Beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete