Sunday, April 22, 2012

An Adventure!


Woohoo! I'm so excited. I've been invited to Mrs. Todd's Washington Elementary School 4th grade class to talk about how to plot a story this Wednesday.

How cool is that? 27 kids are about to embark on writing their own novels, and I get to talk to them about how to plot the story so it is exciting and so that the character has to change their mind about something they believe.

I'm planning on toting along my plot board and post its, and we'll plot our own story during the class. :)

So, Q4U, have you ever taught writing to kids? Any pointers?

5 comments:

  1. This sounds like a blast! I haven't but Jill Kemerer has done a few writing workshops at her daughter's school. I bet she has a billion ideas to help! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woah! That sounds fabulous! I have never done that and don't believe I could do that, but I am sure you are up to the challenge. I wanna hear all about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You betcha I have! and it's WAY fun! Your passion will shine through.

    When I taught 5th grade, I'd often have parents say to me, "My child loves writing! Before this year, they hated writing."

    It was the best compliment I could receive. I don't think my kids fell in love with writing because I was such an amazing writing teacher. I think they fell in love with writing because I was passionate about it and I shared that passion with my students. And if anything is contagious....it's passion.

    Have fun Erica!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds like so much fun! I love when children are interested in writing and being creative to think up stories. I've never taught other children, but my oldest daughter is interested in writing stories now and it's so fun to help her plot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you have a blast, Erica.

    A number of years ago I was invited to talk to a 4th grade class. One thing I said really impressed the students. I mentioned that I'd revised parts of my story seventeen times. The teacher told me later that his students didn't complain about writing a second draft for the rest of that school year. =)

    ReplyDelete