Friday, April 27, 2012

Fill in the Blank Friday





This is me with Mrs. Todd's 4th grade class. They invited me in to talk about writing fiction, and we had a great time. I handed out bookmarks and when class was over, they all wanted them signed. Cool! One little gal asked me if I would be sure to become very famous so that someday she could sell my autograph for a million dollars. I told her I would do my best.


Here are my answers from last week's Fill In The Blank Friday:


1. My favorite K-12 teacher was _Mr. Heter____ because he/she encouraged me to write___.


2. My best friend in elementary school was Tresa Berigan__.


3. The worst food from the school cafeteria was MEATLOAF_.


4. At recess, my favorite thing to do was lay in the white clover and daydream__.


5. After school we raced home so we could watch Gilligan's Island_.


This week, one question:


What is your favorite memory of an elementary school guest speaker?

8 comments:

  1. I think I'm cheating b/c I remember our middle school principal's talk. He drove home these words, "Think before you speak."

    One of the best pieces of advice I've received to date.
    ~ Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  2. We didn't have guest speakers in parochial school. We did have one assembly that sticks out in my mind. Four young men from the seminary came and entertained us with music. They called themselves The Seminarians. Their music was along the lines of folk music, but compared to Gregorian Chant, it was wild. There were a couple of good looking fellas in the group, too. Father What-A-Wastes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We had Rudy from The Cosby Show come speak to us in middle school about saying no to drugs. I remember thinking, "She's totally famous!" My family always watched The Cosby Show.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great answers! I can't remember a single guest speaker. Is that bad? Maybe we never had any. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aw, what a sweet little girl! You need to make her wish come true now, Erica! Ha!

    My favorite guest? In eighth grade, one of the mom's came in to teach us art. We got to oil-paint, and boy did I love it! She was such a sweet, pretty lady, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. So happy your visit to the 4th grade class went well! I don't remember what year it was but one time my grandma visited with my class and taught us all how to churn butter. That was fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad you had such a great time with that 4th grade class, Erica. I doubt those students realized they were listening to a famous NYT bestselling author. Maybe one day they will, and then they'll treasure those bookmarks even more. =)

    I can't recall a single guest speaker in my elementary school days. I do remember lots of anti-drug assemblies, though. It was the 60s. What can I say?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I remember a speaker we had in fifth grade. Everyone called her "Cherry Pie" because she always read nail-biting stories of people that were attacked by sharks...and there were pictures of the bite marks/injuries...hence the descriptive "cherry pie" title. Now that I'm typing this though, I can't think of WHY the school let her come and terrorize all of us! There had to be a reason... LOL!

    ReplyDelete