Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Close To The Finish Line


Here's another picture from the Circle Bar B game preserve. Turtles, sunning on a log in the weeds.

As I near the finish line on this current work in progress, I feel a bit like the tortoise from the tortoise and the hare. I've taken more time on this story than any other I've written. I started the plotting for this story in October of last year. Five months ago. It seems like a long time ago.

At Christmas time, I stopped writing on this project and began another one for my publisher that ended up not working out. Since I'd taken a couple weeks off from this work in progress to work on something else, when it was time to get back to writing, instead of writing, I went to the beginning of the story and reworked, edited, and read through what I had to refresh myself and remember the characters and story line.

I finished the first draft the night before we flew out to Florida and when we got home, I jumped into the editing process. This week should see the editing done and the ms turned in.

Then I'll have to have a talk with my agent, look over my story ideas, and see where we want to go from here.

How about you? Are you close to finishing a project? Are you a turtle or a hare when it comes to writing?

8 comments:

  1. Yup, close to completing my entry for the Graceful Envelope contest. Slow and steady wins the race. Though sometimes I'm so far behind, I think I'm winning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can be a hare when I need to be. But there is one project I keep jumping in and out of and I've definitely been a turtle with it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm in the midst of a break and I have to say I'm going a little nutty. I miss writing. I miss characters. I miss...miss...miss! So I spent most of yesterday plotting. Not the same, but it helped.
    ~ Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm definitely the turtle. I'm about halfway through the edits of my WIP. No matter how hard I try to rush the process, it's just not happening.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Turtle on the rough draft but tend to hare my way through on edits. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm a hare when it comes to first drafts, but more of turtle in the editing process unless I have a deadline.

    Okay the security words I have to enter to publish my comment just spelled this:

    icuppo LOL I thought it was funny. *shrug*

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kudos on completing your story, Erica. I'm eager to read it.

    When I first began writing, I hadn't discovered the online world and worked in a cave. I didn't know all the rules, so the words flowed freely--and fast.

    These days I'm a tortoise writer. I plan a story before I begin writing and do some editing as I go. There are those who say it's best to slap a story on the page, but my method works for me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations on nearing the end of another project! That must be a combined sense of relief, satisfaction and exhaustion. :)

    'm a tortoise on the first draft and a hare on the first revision. Then I get picky and fiddle with subsequent revisions. I do okay if I have a deadline, such as with a magazine article, but with my novels I seem to dawdle along indefinitely.

    ReplyDelete