Friday, February 10, 2012

The Friday Five


This week's Friday Five is:

Five pieces of technology that have changed the way we live, and have all come into common use in my lifetime.

1. Computers. My dad bought a Tandy computer when I was a kid. It had a cassette drive, and we spent hours writing code for it, debugging the code we wrote, and sitting back amazed when our pages and pages of input code made the computer do something amazing like count to ten.

2. Cell phones. In the 80's came the cordless phone. It looked not unlike a Vietnam radio pack. Now we have more computing power in a smart phone than NASA had with the first Apollo Moonwalk.

3. Microwave oven. The first one my dad bought was about the size of a Volkswagen. He couldn't believe you could cook a corn dog in just :45 seconds, so he set the microwave for five minutes. Charred beef jerky dogs.

4. Flat Screen TV's. The first tv I can remember was a huge piece of furniture. Built into a console with a fake drawer underneath and speakers on the sides covered in maroon fabric and fake wood lattice. And we were cool. we had a remote control. With three. Count em. THREE buttons. Channel, Volume, and On/Off. Now we have LCD, LED, Plasma, Projection, Enormous tv's.

5. GPS. I LOVE my GPS unit. Plug in the address and it gives me turn-by-turn directions. No more trying to pick out the best route on my State Farm/Rand McNally atlas. No more driving around neighborhoods looking for a house.

So, what piece of technology that has been invented since you were born that has changed the way you live?

12 comments:

  1. I must say, I got my Pandora working yesterday, and I love her!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes, I despise my cell phone. I have no idea where it is 75% of the time, so much of my day is hearing it buzz or ring and me either trying to ignore it or find it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I went from learning how to write with a hammer and chisel to using a pencil! (-;

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think we had the same tv! At the end of its life, we would have to slam a hand against the back of it to get it to work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm really feeling it for my Kindle Fire. Never thought I'd get to this point. But here. Here I am!
    ~ Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Internet. Being able to connect with friends around the world is awesome. And research? Yes. Love the research I can do online--and the shopping. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love music, so I remember when CD players came out and when I got my first MP3 player. I carried that thing with me everywhere--thought it was the coolest thing EVER!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Def my cell phone and probably internet.

    Have a great weekend, lady!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the automatic ice making feature of our refrigerator. No more dripping water on the floor as I balance a water-filled ice cube tray while trying to open the freezer door, not to forget the convenience of instant ice cubes to fill a glass at the push of a lever. Ah, the height of laziness!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'd say the cell phone and the Internet. I really don't know what we did or how we got around before cell phones became big. Guess we all just got lost or ended up waiting for people when they showed up late.

    The internet is a beautiful thing. It has its downsides, sure, but worlds of opportunity have opened up to me through it. Writers communities, blogs, Amazon. I can talk to friends and family from afar. Don't think any of us could live happily without the internet these days.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Without a doubt my iPhone changed everything. It literally put the world in my fingertips anywhere in the world. Great top 5!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. DEFINITELY my phone. The unit is NOT just a phone, it is mission control. It is a phone, GPS, MP3, game player, and computer all in one. May I never be required to go back to the dark ages!

    ReplyDelete