Monday, November 01, 2010

New Month, New Goals


November first!

For the first time in a few years, I'm not working on a NaNo project, and it's bittersweet. Bitter because I love NaNo, the camraderie, the crazyness, the forums over at NaNo, the local write-ins.

But it's sweet because I'm working on an established project, and I'm on a deadline.

Last month I set a goal of writing 50K words in October. I finished a novella and started this new WIP. I reached the 25K word mark on the new WIP and finished the month with 45,000 words, 5K shy of my October goal.

For November, I want to write 55K words and finish the first writing of my WIP. I'm going to have to hustle, and it will mean taking some Saturdays at the library or somewhere so I can concentrate.

November is also the start of my son's basketball season for the Defenders JV Basketball team. Two practices a week and games. I'll be hauling my laptop to the church where he practices and finding a quiet corner to work. Hopefully, I will be able to meet this goal and get right into the rewrites by the first of December.

What are your November goals?

11 comments:

  1. Goals???!!! Why does everyone have goals and I don't? LOL Briefly I considered finishing my lengthening of a category....not gonna happen in Oct. Maybe that should be my Nov. goal. Hmmmm. :-)

    Congrats on the deadline! Woot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to FOCUS! I've had a severe case of ADHD ALL weekend and even before this weekend, I've sort of been all over the place.

    So, I set some goals for myself last night.

    I'm in no rush to pound out another story, but I have to get working on one for the sake of my brain not exploding.


    For the month of November, I'd like to:
    - Write the premise, back cover blurb, and synopsis for that second idea we talked about (the jilted fiance one...only like we talked about, I need to make it weightier...I think I know how but could sure use one of our fabulous brainstorming sessions!)

    - Send both story ideas to you!

    Love ya!
    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, you crack 'em out.

    My goal for Nov. is to get from 20K to 40K on WIP.

    ~ Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your goals. My son's basketball season is starting in December and I have a question for you----How do you work and write at practice without getting distracted? If it's not the balls bouncing out of bounds, it's the other parents who---how can I say this nicely?---like to chatter a lot and loudly! I admire your ability to focus!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jessica, I don't know if I'll finish this project in November as I'd like to, but I know if I don't set a goal or two, I won't do it for sure!

    Lengthening a category for trade is so much fun. I am really enjoying the freedom to explore some other storylines in my current WIP.

    Katie - Your ADHD is understandable! I can't wait to read your synops, and I'm totally up for another brainstorming session after your conference week.

    Wendy - Yay for a 20K word goal!!! You can do it!

    Mary - I don't stay in the gymnasium to write. That would be disastrous! I'll either use an empty Sunday School room or preferable the church library. If neither of those are available, I'll head to the coffee shop nearby.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You go girl! Lord knows I've hauled my lap top all sorts of crazy places. Funny how people always want to carry a conversation when I'm working though... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good goals. My goals are mostly organizing the house. But as far as writing...I am aiming a little lower this month since I made a big goal last month. I'm going for 20K on my WIP.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so impressed with your stick-to-it-ness on meeting your goals. You did great!

    I'm plotting my new book and writing the first three chapters, maybe more. Can't wait!

    Good luck to your son! My kids don't start basketball until December. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yay for b-ball season for your son. It's so fun to watch and cheer for your own kid!!!

    Well, you know my goals, one of which involves a bandwagon and some big gnarly wheels.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are my hero! I'm always amazed at the words you pound out. My goals are 50,000 for November...yes, I am doing NaNo. ;) I got 1766 today. So far, so good.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Woohooo!!! Great goals, Erica!

    ReplyDelete