This past week, as I finished up Before The Dawn, I posted as my Facebook status that I Really, Really wanted to use the phrase "Little Did They Know" in my novel. LOL!
So, today's Friday Five is:
Things I'd like to use in a novel but can't because they are no-nos.
- Little Did They Know. Ever since Dustin Hoffman said he'd written entire essays on "Little Did He Know" I've wanted to stick it in a book. :)
- Meanwhile, Back At The Ranch. CJ reminded me of this great classic. And since I love writing about cowboys, it would be so great!
- Dear Reader. This was a device of Victorian novels, where the narrator of the story stepped out of narration to have a side-chat with the reader. Wouldn't it be so handy to be able to draw a red circle around an important point by drawing the reader aside for a chat?
- And They Lived Happily Ever After. Hey, it would fit the romance genre, but writers nowadays have to show the potential for a happy ending.
- It Was A Dark And Stormy Night. Snoopy and Bulwar-Lytton aside, I would LOVE to stick this into a piece of fiction. :)