In less than a week we'll have my favorite service of the year at church. I love the Christmas Eve service.
So this week's Friday Five is:
Five things I love about the Christmas Eve Service at church.
1. The atmosphere. Everyone, even those who claim to be Christmas Curmudgeons, are rather merry and cheerful. :) And we're reminded again what Christmas is REALLY about.
2. The decorations. The overhead lights are dimmed and candlelight and tiny white Christmas lights shine like stars. Creamy white poinsettias, evergreen boughs, golden ribbon. It's just all so beautiful.
3. The surprise. Every year the pastor has a special treat for us. A poem he's written, a song he sings, a drama, something that is his gift to his congregation each year. He's been here more than a decade, so he really has to work hard to come up with something original each year now, though I wouldn't mind at all if he duplicated something. :)
4. The music. I really enjoy singing carols with my church friends.
5. The candlelight ending. Each person gets an unlit candle, we stand in a big circle in the sanctuary, and the flame goes around the circle until everyone has a lit candle. We sing one last carol before departing.
How about you? Do you have a church service on Christmas Eve? Do you enjoy it? Do you have a favorite memory?