Wednesday, September 02, 2009

Sometimes you're the rope


As you can tell by the lateness in the day of this blog post, I forgot to schedule anything to post in the middle of the night, as per usual.
Sigh.
Some days you're the rope.
In J.R.R. Tolkien's The Fellowship of the Ring, his character Bilbo Baggins says he's been feeling stretched. Thin. Like butter scraped over too much bread. (Not only is this the PERFECT analogy for a food-obsessed creature like a hobbit, but it's also just so vivid an image that I always stop to savor it when I think about it. Wish I'd said it.)
But this week I know how Bilbo feels. I know how the rope in a tug of war feels.
Schoolwork. Priority.
Content edits on novel under deadline. Priority.
Prepare for company coming. Priority.
Prepare for conference. Priority.
Jump through hoops to complete detailed bookkeeping re my late MIL's estate. Priority.
How do you choose? What has to come first? What can you let slide?
Not much sleeping going on around here.

10 comments:

  1. I hate feeling like a rope. I hope you can find some time to squeeze in a few hours of sleep (priority) and feel less like an overstretched rubberband and more like the wonderful woman that you are. In the meantime, I'll be praying God blesses you with just the right amount of elasticity. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate feeling like a rope - especially when I'm coming unraveled. My only hope is showing my pile of conflicting priorities to God and asking His help to sort them out. Just show me what to do next.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Erica!

    I pray that God will order your steps and will provide the time and energy for you to do all that needs to be done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I hate when I have WAY too much to do, especially when they're all so urgent! Hope you can find time for everything and still retain your sanity!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm going to pray for peace to come grab hold of you. May the prioritizing come a little easier for you now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, thank you, thank you all for your prayers. I do feel more at peace this afternoon.

    Some things have gotten accomplished, and I've realized I can only do what I can and I have to let the rest go.

    I'm so very thankful that my family is supportive, and I'm so thankful for you all!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is usually when I make a detailed list of all the things that have to be done. While some of the items might be big and take several days (weeks), there are usually a number of things that take five minutes (making appointments, a quick email about something important) or 30 minutes. When I can see a list with ten items crossed off, it makes me feel not quite so stretchy.

    Praying for you, Erica.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Every day brings so many choices! It's hard! But the smurfs make it all better :)

    Hey, and I noticed Favre looked pretty good in the pre-season game the other night (not that I'm completely sold!), so at least there's something to look forward to, right?

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Carla, your advice is spot on. I managed to get a lot done today, in spite of being tugged in a lot of directions, mostly due to making lists and priortizing the Priorities!

    Jill, yeah, loved the Smurf pictures. I'm bummed because I have a ticket to the game on Friday night and Favre's not supposed to suit up at all. Grrrrr.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Everything will get done. Where's your penny?

    ReplyDelete