Writers often speak of ways to make more time for their writing, and in the next breath we speak of things that we do to procrastinate writing. Face it, writers are complex people!
So, here are my current favorite procrastinaton techniques.
1. Blogs. Reading, writing, perusing, commenting. I've had to whittle my list of daily blog reads down AGAIN. I don't like to, but I have to draw the line somewhere. Mostly because I try to comment on the blogs I read. I want to encourage the writer of the blog that there are people reading, that what they say matters, and that it has an impact on someone other than their mom.
2. Email. I love getting email. I love the immediacy of it. I check email way too often on the off chance that someone replied to my blog, to my facebook status update, or has sent me one of those delightful "Jesus is my Girlfriend" sparkly, music playing, Precious Moments scrolling, poems.
3. TV. Especially sports. I love watching nearly any sport on tv. I'm a Cubs fan from way back and I have WGN television. (I also have "There's always Next Year" tattooed on my soul.)
4. Books. When I'm not doing something I have to do like bookwork, school, or sleeping, and I'm not on the computer, I'm reading a book. I'm trying to teach myself to scale back on the number of books I read for review.
5. Computer Games. Games from BigFishGames.com. You can download one hour free trials of hundreds of games, and I'm especially fond of Hidden Object games at the moment.
So, what are your procrastination techniques, and what's your current favorite?