Today I sent three more chapters of Drums to my crit partners. I ironed out some timeline problems, added a new character, and smoothed out the bumps I've been learning about through the critique group.
Editing can be a daunting task. For some, even more daunting than pounding out that first draft. It's like standing at the foot of a cliff. The summit is hundreds of feet overhead and there's no other way to get to the top except by chalking your hands and putting your toe in a crack on the rockface. All you can see is the cold stone in front of your nose.
Today, after I polished the chapters as best I could for this latest round of crits, I realized I had reached the 1/3 mark with the edits. I've climbed partway up the cliff and the view is getting better and better. 96/305 pages. Ten chapters.
My other goal, of having the plot cards done for Pam on Rye by 3/20/07 is pretty much on schedule. I'm casting about for a great opening line.
Once the crits are done on Drums, I will work on a synopsis and proposal packet. Then it will be time to send that baby out. But for now, I'll keep climbing that cliff. I bet the view at the top will be beautiful.