Friday, February 09, 2007
This week over on Kaye Dacus' blog, she posted about goals. Being Deliberate, Determined and aiming at a particular Destination. I encourage you to click on the link to the left and check out the post.
In light of that, I've decided to revisit my goals for 2007, previously posted on the blog in January, and see how I'm doing six weeks later.
2007 Writing Goals:
1) Finish the first draft of Drums of the North Star (this will mean 1500 words a day, 5 days a week, for six more weeks.) I've been diligent in working on the manuscript. It now stands at just over 80,000 words, the original projected word count. However, this first draft is going to run closer to 90,000 words before it's all finished. So I've allowed myself a few more days to accomplish this goal. The former deadline was Feb. 14th. The new deadline is Feb. 17th. I'm 'stealing' that Saturday to wrap up the first draft.
2) Write out plot cards for new book--Pam on Rye--by 3/20/07. Lots of composting going on with this one. I'm hoping to have all the plot cards done well before this date to give myself a little more time on the deadline for the first draft.
3) Write first draft of Pam on Rye by 6/29/07. This will be pushing it, but since we will be done with school, and hopefully this addition too, I will be able to focus a lot of concentrated effort on getting this first draft done in the allotted three months.
4) Write synopsis/proposal packet for Drums of the North Star, including series ideas. This one might come up sooner than I'd anticipated, if I do enter the Barclay Sterling contest, as they require a synopsis and query letter with the submission.
5) Write synopsis/proposal packet for Pam on Rye, including series ideas. Haven't even started this one.
6) Edit and revise Drums of the North Star, particularly the first three chapters and synopsis. Thanks to some terrific critique partners, this one has already begun.
7) Edit and revise Pam on Rye, particularly the first three chapters and synopsis. No action here as all attention has been on Drums of the North Star.
8) Attend ACFW Conference in September. This is still the plan. I'm getting excited already.
9) Follow up on manuscript request of my first novel, Beauty for Ashes. The follow-up came. A polite 'no, thank-you.' At least I can cross it off my list of things to do.
10) Pray, pray, pray! (this one should be #1...or #1-10) Still praying. And God is working.
11) I'm adding in here join a critique group. (Hee hee hee. I love lists, and I have been known to add things to my list for the day that I've already done, just so I can cross them off. I like to look back on the day/year and see I've gotten at least a FEW things accomplished.)
12) Also adding: Enter the Genesis contest for 2007. I'm still waiting on one set of crits before I do a final polish and submit. Rest assured, I'll post when I turn it in.
So, some things are ahead of schedule, some things have been crossed off, and some remain to do. Do you have a list of goals for 2007? Are you working on them?